Mung Dal Khichdi Recipe(with out onion & Garlic)
- ½ cup basmati broken or whole rice
- 1 cup moong dal/spilt green gram
- 1.5 tbsp ghee or 2 tbsp oil (real flavor comes with the ghee as this khichdi has minimal ingredients)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ to 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- rock salt or regular salt as required
1 Rinse both the rice and dal together for a couple of times in water.
2 Heat the ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
crackle the cumin and hing first. Add the turmeric powder and stir.
3 Add the rice and moong dal. Saute for a minute.
- Add 4 to 4.5 cups water. season with salt.
stir and then pressure cook the khichdi for 2 whistles till both the rice and moong dal have reached a mashable consistency .
5 When the pressure settles down, open the lid and check the moong dal khichdi.
if its too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- Keep on sim or low flame to simmer the khichdi till you get the right consistency.
the consistency can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
7 Serve moong dal khichdi with a plain bowl of yogurt and lemon pickle.
when serving khichdi you can add a 1 or 2 tsp of ghee in the serving bowls or plates.
More ghee more taste.