Dal Makhani is made from Red Kidney Beans and Whole Black Lentils.Kidney Beans are called as Rajma in India. Whole Black Lentils are also known as black gram and sabut urad dal or kali dal.
- 2 cup black gram or sabut urad dal
1/2 cup kidney beans or rajma
¾ to 1 cup tomato purée
Ginger crushed or finely chopped
½ tsp red chili powder or add as per your taste
1 tbsp oil or butter
2 to 3 tbsp cream(optional)
Salt as required
- Rinse and soak the lentils in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Drain and then add them in a pressure cooker.
- Add 4 cups water and pressure cook on high or medium flame for 12-15 whistles. When the pressure settles down on its own.
- Open and check if the lentils are cooked. You should be able to mash both the kidney bean and the black gram with a spoon or with your fingers, if they are cooked. If they are not cooked thoroughly, then pressure cook for 2-3 whistles more. Add water if required.
- In a pan add oil ,hing,cumin(jeera)seeds ,ginger,tomatoes,chilli powder,cream and salt.
- Stir and mix well.
- Add this gravy to boiled dal, now simmer the dal without any lid on a low to medium flame, till the consistency becomes medium and smooth.
- The lentils should become so soft, that they should melt in your mouth.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder if required.
- Serve the dal makhani hot plain or topped with some butter or cream along with rotis, naan, paratha or plain or jeera rice.
- The consistency of dal makhani can be easily adjusted by adding more or less water.
- Dal Makhani tastes even better on the second day.