Whole Green Mung Dal (Sabut mung Dal Curry)
Whole green mung dal is very easy to make and healthy recipe. It is simmered with sautéed onion-tomato with basic spices.
Can make same recipe with the sprouted mung also.
1 1 cup whole mung lentils
2 1 tomato
3 1 onion
- chopped ginger& green chili
5 1/2 tsp turmeric
6 1/2 tsp cumin(jeera) seeds
7 A pinch of Hing
1) Wash the mung under running cold water till water runs clear.
2) Soak it in enough warm water for about 1 1/2 to 2 hour
3) After soaking, discard the water, add mung to pressure cooker then add fresh 1 1/2 cups of water. Close it with the lid, put the weight on, turn on the heat on high. Let it cook for 1 whistle on high + 10 mins on medium-low. Let the pressure go down by itself and then open the cover.
4) While pressure is releasing, heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds, let them sizzle
5) Then add chopped ginger & chili &chopped onions. And salt to speed up the process.Let it cook till it becomes soft and translucent. Do not need to brown the onions.
6) Then add chopped tomatoes and mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
7) Then add all spice powders turmeric powder, red chili powder.
8) Mix it well and cook for a minute. Few tomatoes will mash and few will hold the shape.
9) Then add boiled whole mung and some water.
10) Mix well and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. You can adjust the consistency by adding more water or boiling the extra water as per your preference.
11) Turn off the stove and then add lemon juice.
12)Add chopped cilantro( coriander leaves)