Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe
Punjabi kadhi is an Indian yogurt gramflour curry with pakoras and seasoned with spices and usually served with rice.
This is my mother’s recipe of making traditional kadhi with pakoras.
we love kadhi, be it plain or with pakoras. At home we call it kadhi chawal, because the kadhi is had with plain rice or jeera rice. But I always prefer to have kadhi with roti.
Sometimes we have lack of time so instead of making pakaoras my mom used potato.
Few suggestions or tips for kadhi recipe:
*Use full fat curd.
*Use mustard oil if possible to fry pakoras and for tempering. mustard oil give a pungent sharp taste and flavor to the curry.
* Use good quality gram flour/besan
The pakoras can be ready beforehand and kept aside.
* Use a large bottomed pot for cooking the kadhi. The curd mixture froth whilst cooking and can spill if you use a small p.
Ingredients for Kadhi
1. 500 gm full fat curd/dahi/yogurt
2. 3 cups water or add as required
3. ½ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
4. ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
5. ½ tsp garam masala powder
6. A pinch of asafoetida/hing
7. 1 to 1.5 tsp salt or add as required
8. 2 tbsp besan
9. A pinch of carom seeds( ajwain)
10. A pinch of mustard seeds
11. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds( jeera)
12. 1/2 fenugreek seeds( methi)
13. 1 tsp chopped ginger
14. 1 tsp chopped green chili
1. 1 cup besan or gram flour
2. ¼ cup water
3. Oil for deep-frying pakoras
Preparing the curd mixture:
1. In a bowl take all curd whisk it well till smooth.
2. Add 2 tbsp gram flour powder to the whisked curd.
3. Stir and mix everything again.
4. Add 3 cups water and stir again.
5. Stir very well to make a smooth mixture without lumps. If there are lumps, then break them with a wired whisk or a spatula or with your fingers.
6. Keep the curd mixture aside. You can use a blender to make this mixture, but make sure you don’t over do it. You will get butter instead of a smooth blended curd.
1. Take the 1 cup gram flour/besan in a bowl and add water to make thick batter .
2. With your hands drop pakora batter in the hot oil.
3. When the pakoras are cooked ,then turn over and fry the other side.Fry till the pakoras are crisp.
4. Remove the pakoras from oil and put them in salty water ( prepare one pan with water and add salt to it). By doing this extra oil will come out.
5. Fry the pakoras in batches this way.
1. In another pan heat 1 tbsp mustard oil. Make sure to use a large bottomed pot so that while boiling, the kadhi does not spill.
2.Add the cumin seeds, methi seeds and a pinch of asafoetida ,mustard seeds,carom seeds allow the cumin seeds to crackle and the methi seeds to change their color. fry on a low flame, so that these spices do not get burnt.
3. Add chopped ginger and green chilly. Stir and sauté for a minute on low flame.
4. Then add the curd mixture. Stir very well. Add turmeric and chilly powder.After get boiled add salt.
5. Increase the flame to medium and bring the kadhi to a boil. Keep on stirring often so that the bottom does not get browned. Lower the flame and then simmer the kadhi for about 15 minutes the kadhi will thicken. If the kadhi becomes too thick, then add some hot water.
6. Now take out pakoras from water and press in between both of your palms so that water will come out .Add the pakoras in the kadhi. Stir gently.
7. Cover the kadhi with a lid and let the pakoras be soaked in the kadhi for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. lastly sprinkle some garam masala powder on the kadhi.
9. Serve the kadhi pakora with steamed rice or jeera rice, topped with few teaspoonfuls of ghee. you could also have kadhi with rotis or parathas.
* Can make any type of pakora like onion, potato, spinach
* Can use garlic and onion
* Can use curry leaves
*Can use boondi in place of pakora.
* Can use potato in place of pakora.
* Can add whole green or red chili