Calzone is an Italian filled oven Pizza and shaped as a folded Pizza.It resembles a half moon and is made up of salted bread dough.
Calzone is the perfect way to use up leftover veggies.
For the pizza dough
- 1 tsp of instant yeast
- 3/4 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cups wheat flour
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt ,yeast and olive oil. Now add the warm water to make dough.
- Knead for about 10 minutes till it is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Allow it to rise in a warm environment for about an hour,
- Until the dough is double in size.
- Meanwhile you can work on the stuffing – for the stuffing you can use dry vegetables or meat.
- Very wet or vegetables with gravy is not a good idea as that would tend to wet the Calzone inside.
- Wet stuffing will make Calzone loose the crispness.
- So the peas and potato stuffing I used is given below.
Stuffing for Calzone
INGREDIENTS FOR THE STUFFING
- 7-8 boiled potatoes cut into small pieces
One cup of boiled peas
Hand full of fresh coriander
One small stem of fresh ginger chopped
2-3 green chillies ( depending on how spicy you want the Calzone to taste) chopped
1 tsp of Garam masala
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp amchur powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
10.1 tsp coriander seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
100 gm of cheddar cheese cut into small pieces
1 tsp of cooking oil
- In a wok, add the cooking oil, and let it heat. Over medium heat add in the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fresh ginger and chillies.
- Saute for a few seconds. Now add in the boiled potatoes and peas.
- Let the potatoes and peas cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add in the chili powder, garam masala, amchur, salt, and pepper.
- Taste the stuffing and adjust the flavours accordingly.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese and fresh coriander. The stuffing is ready.
- Now remove the dough on a flour dusted kitchen surface and knead it a little to push the air out with your hands. It is called punching down the dough.
- Divide the dough into little balls depending on the size of the calzone you want.
- This much amount of dough will make 8 medium-sized Calzones.
- Place a ball of dough on a lightly floured surface. Use your finger first to stretch the dough, then roll the dough with a rolling-pin until you have almost 8 inch circle. If your dough shrinks back a bit after rolling, let it rest for few minutes and try rolling again.
- Now fill your zone, on half of your dough circle. Leaving about an inch border between the filling and the edge.
- Using little water, wet the edge of the bottom half of the Calzone. Fold the top half over the filling to form a sideways half-moon shape.
- Press the edge firmly with your fingers or a fork to seal properly.
- Carefully transfer the Calzone to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat the steps to assemble the remaining Calzones.
- Use a sharp knife to slice a 2 inch slit into the top of each Calzone. This allows the steam to escape while cooking.
At this stage you can give the calzone an oil wash and sprinkle with some sesame seeds. Fully optional
Bake at 200* C for about 30 minutes in a preheated oven, until you get a beautiful golden color .
Serve it hot to your friends and family.