This is my mother’s recipe.
Amla or Indian Gooseberry is a vegetable which is full of health benefits.
- Amla 500 gm
- 1/2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder/ sauf powder
- 1/2 tsp methi powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt to taste
- Put Amla in a strainer and wash them well. Take a utensil, wash it and fill enough water in it so that the Amlas will be submerged easily then put it on fire for boiling. When water begins to boil put the Amlas in boiling water. After the water starts boiling again keep it boiling for 2 minutes then put off fire and cover these Amlas for 5 minutes with a utensil. Make sure that you don’t put the Amlas into the utensils before the water starts boiling. Put the Amlas for cooking only when the water is already boiling.
- Put these Amlas in a strainer and when they become cold, slice them up and takes the seeds away.
- Let them dry in sunlight for one day..
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds allow them to splutter.
- Now add coriander powder, turmeric, fennel powder ,garam masala ,methi powder and salt to taste.
- Mix all masala well.
- Switch of the flame.
- Add amla to the spices.
- Stir it well so that amla is coated well with spices.
- Let it cool down.
- Store in a jar and kept it in sunlight for 1-2days.
- Same time also can eat.
- Make in small batches otherwise kept in refrigerator.
Serve it with chapati, rice or paratha.
*left over water after boiling amlas can be used for drinking.