Eggless whole wheat orange cake
eggless orange cake: soft and light cake.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ to 1 cup orange juice, if using whole wheat flour then add 1 cup orange juice and if using all-purpose flour, then add ¾ cup
- ½ cup powdered sugar (I used Brown sugar)
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter or any vegetable oil(I used olive oil)
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp vanilla custard powder
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 tbsp custard powder, a pinch of salt, ½ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp baking soda. keep this sieved mixture aside.
- In a bowl add the ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup oil. you can also use softened butter instead of oil.
- With an electric beater or hand beater beat this mixture of oil/butter and sugar till well blended and creamy.
- I made fresh orange juice. you can use ready juice too. i used 4 medium oranges to get a bit more than 1 cup juice.
- Add 1 cup of the orange juice to the sugar and oil mixture. if using whole wheat flour, then 1 cup of orange juice works well and if using all-purpose flour, then you can add about ¾ cup of orange juice.
- Stir very well.
now add the sieved flour mixture and ½ tsp orange zest. you can add about 1 tsp orange zest too. to get a more dominant flavor of oranges, add orange essence.
mix everything very well. There should be no lumps in the cake batter.
pour the batter in a lined or greased cake tin. . use a spatula to scrape the batter from sides and add it to the cake pan.
tap the pan from the sides so that excess air bubbles are released and the batter becomes even in the pan.
bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes.
when warm or cool, serve orange cake with tea or coffee. you can wrap the remaining cake and keep in the fridge.
If using fresh orange juice, then make the juice just before you add it to the oil-sugar mixture. keeping orange juice for a long time can result in it getting bitter and spoiling the taste of the cake.
Can add dry fruits of your choice. I added tutti fruity,almonds and walnuts.
Can make plain Orange cake with out adding any dry fruits.