Eggless Whole wheat chocolate cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/atta (you can use all-purpose flour/maida also)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter( I used sunflower oil)
- 1 tbsp lime juice/vinegar(I used apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
for the cocoa frosting:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp sugar or add as required
for the cake:
- First grease a round baking pan.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, ½ tsp baking soda in a plate.
- In another pan or bowl, take ¾ cup sugar.
- Add 1 cup water and stir so that the sugar dissolves.
- Now add ¼ cup oil or melted butter. I added oil. Stir briskly so that everything is mixed well.
- Next add 1 tbsp lime juice/vinegar. Stir again.
- Now add ½ tsp vanilla essence.
- Add the sieved dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix everything well.
- There should be no lumps in the cake batter. The batter is not thick but thin.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Tap the sides of the cake pan so that the extra air bubbles are let out.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven for 200 degrees celsius/392 degrees fahrenheit for 35 to 40 mins. Since temperatures vary from oven to oven, do keep a check.
- For doneness check the cake with a tooth pick. The tooth pick should come out clean. Once the cake becomes warm or cools down, unmold and place it on a wired rack. If the tooth pick is sticky, then place the cake bake in the oven and continue to bake for some more minutes. Before frosting let the cake cool completely.
for the frosting:
- Take 2 tbsp butter and 4 tbsp sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat and melt the butter. Also the sugar should dissolve. Once the sugar has dissolved switch off the stove top. The sugar should be just dissolved. We don’t need to cook the sugar in its various stages.
- Next add 4 tbsp cocoa powder.
- With a spatula stir so that the cocoa powder gets mixed evenly with the butter-sugar mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp milk. Stir very well to make a slightly thick frosting, the cocoa frosting is ready.
- While still hot, spread the frosting on the cake as well as the sides with a spatula. you can also slice the cake in half and spread frosting in the center and then on the top. Wrap a medium-sized plate with aluminium foil and then keep the cake on it. this make the frosting work easier. Keep the cake covered in the fridge for the frosting to set. You can use a dome-shaped bowl to cover the cake. make sure the there is enough space between the cake and the bowl which you are using for covering the cake.
- The frosting will set after some hours. I kept overnight.
- Next day, take some powdered sugar and cocoa powder and spread on the cake. this is optional.
- Slice and serve the eggless chocolate cake.
- Can serve with out frosting also.