This is my mom’s recipe.
Palak paneer is one of the most popular indian paneer recipe . Palak paneer is soft paneer or cottage cheese cooked in a spinach curry.
Palak paneer goes well with rotis, naan and parathas. Can substitute paneer with tofu in this palak paneer recipe.
- 500 gms fresh spinach/palak
- 3/4 green chilies
- ginger chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp besan
- 250 gms paneer
- 1 tbsp cream
a few teaspoons of cream or butter or ghee for topping the palak paneer (optional)
making the spinach purée
- Rinse the palak or spinach leaves very well in running water. Tender stem are fine. If the stems are stringy, then discard the stems.
- Boil the spinach add the spinach in a grinder jar with chopped ginger and green chilies.
- Make a smooth palak purée. No need to add water while making the purée. Keep the spinach purée aside.
making the palak curry
- Heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan or kadai.
- Add the cumin seeds and hing and let them splutter.
- Add the finely chopped onions. Saute till the onions become golden.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Stir and sauté the tomatoes till they soften.
- Once the tomatoes are softened and you see fat releasing from the sides of the mixture. Then add the turmeric powder, red chili powder .
- Stir very well.
- Then add the palak purée.
- Stir well.
- Add about 1/2 cup water or as required. stir again.
- Simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the palak or spinach is cooked. Once spinach is cooked add besan ( mix with water). The gravy will also thicken by now.Add cream.
- Stir again and then add the paneer cheese and garam masala.
- Stir gently and simmer on a low flame till the paneer cubes become soft . about 1 to 2 minutes. switch off the flame.
- Stir and serve the palak paneer hot with some rotis, naan or jeera rice. you can top the palak paneer with some butter or cream or desi ghee while serving. Also add a few drops of lemon juice on top.
NOTES The paneer cubes can be also be lightly fried .