Sarso Palak ka Saag(Mustard greens & Spinach)
My hubby is fond of eating saag and Kadhi.There was one time when he had to wait for one year for eating saag and kadhi.Because my mother in law comes to our house ones in a year .So when ever she comes I have a list ready for her which tells her what she has to prepare.I didn’t know how to cook that time.
- Sarso/ Green mustard 500 gms
- Palak/Spinach 500 gms
- Green chili 5-6
- Ginger 1 piece
- Green split mung dal 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Hing-1 pinch
- Jeera(cumin seeds) 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Makka flour or gram flour – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – add to taste ( 3/4 tsp)
- Butter/Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Clean mustard leaves and spinach properly and chopped them roughly. Wash them twice or thrice with water. Put them in the cooker and boil.
- Grind them in mixer by adding ginger and green chili.
- Pour oil in a frying pan and heat, put hing and Jeera in hot oil. Add mung dal .Then add the spinach and mustard purée and cooked till its raw smell gone.
- Now mix besan batter(Besan mix with water).
- Add turmeric and salt.
- Boil it for some more time.
- Saag is ready.
Serve it with makka ki roti or any other chapati or paratha.I served it with paani ke haath ki roti.
If you want you can add onion and garlic also.
If you want can add paneer or corn.