Makhane ki kheer/ Happy Janmashtami
Makhane ki kheer is a sweet recipe which is usually made on Janmashtami at my house.
Janmashtami is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Krishna.
Makhane is very common at my home. I usually roast the makhane and keep them in a jar.
These are some of the ways of my mother used these healthy nuts.
1 Roast the makhane and keep in an air tight jar.
2 I sometimes add makhane to matar paneer.
3 You can also make cutlets with makhane powder.
4 You can also add powder to buckwheat parathas .
5 You can also make makhane khichdi and makhana yogurt.
- 2 litres full cream milk
- 100 gms makhana/foxnuts
- 2-3 green cardamom
- Cashew, Raisins
- 1 cup sugar(I used brown sugar)
a pinch of saffron
- Heat milk first.
- Roast makhanas in pan .I blend them in a mixer with pulse button.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add makhana,cardmom,saffron soaked in milk and simmer the milk on a low to medium flame.
- The kheer would have thickened very little by now.
- Simmer the milk on a low to medium flame with occasional stirring.
- If you want you can simmer for some more minutes to get a slightly thick consistency.
lastly add sugar and dry fruits of your choice. Serve the makhane ki kheer hot or warm or cold.
For mor makahana recipies you can check my Roasted makahna.
For more fasting recipies can check my carrot halwa,coconut laddoos, til chikki, custard apple icecream, roasted makhana, dry arbi, milk powder burfi, louki kheer , melon seeds snack , til bugga, gond panjiri, dhania panjiri ,buckwheat flour paratha, buckwheat uttapam, panchamrut.