Chana masala/Chhole/Chickpeas/ Garbanzo
The chickpeas is also known as Bengal gram, garbanzo or kabuli chana(particularly in northern India ).Its seeds are high in protein. This recipe I learnt from my mom .
- 500 gms/ kabuli Chana /chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp soda/eno
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped green chili
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- hing a pinch
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp mango powder/amchur
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak chana overnight by adding soda or eno.
- Wash and drain the chhole .
- Put them in a pressure cooker with salt and enough water to cover them .Cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
- After boiling chana mash them a bit.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, heat a pan to roast your spices.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add Hing,cumin seeds, ginger and green chili stir till just fragrant.
- Now add coriander powder, garam masala, mango powder, pepper powder,cardamom powder and stir till it’s black on low flame.
- Now add the tomato purée and fry .Add lemon juice.After frying add some water to masala so that all masalas cooked well.
- Once it starts boiling add these masala to chhole and give a nice mix.
- Simmer the gas and let it cook till it boils.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve with bhatura, puri, paratha , missi roti, rice or amritsari Kulcha.