Baigan bharta is an Indian vegetarian dish that is prepared by mincing eggplant.This is my mother’s recipe.
- 2 Baigan/Brinjal
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 tsp green chili chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Roughly cut the baigan in 4 pieces and wash them.
- Put them in pressure cooker for 1-2 whistle.
- Cool the brinjal, peel the skin and mash them. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the hing ,cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add ginger,green chili and onions and sauté them.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder,salt,red chili powder, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mashed baigan and sauté them for some time. Switch off the gas.
- Lastly add garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis or paratha.
For mor chapatis check here