Quinoa ,Mung Sprouts Khichdi
I fell in love with small and tiny healthy grain quinoa because of my darling hubby. Daily he gives me new ideas how to use this healthy grain in my kitchen.This is his idea to make quinoa with sprouts.Like this he gave some other also .Soon I am going to share more quinoa recipes.Quinoa Tahari was also his idea.😃.
- Quinoa 1 cup
- Mung Sprouts 1 cup
- Onion 1
- Tomato 1
- Green chilies 1-2
- 1 bowl mixed vegetables (carrot, peas, cauliflower, capsicum, corn)
- Coriander leaves handful
- Ginger 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry leaves
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Clean and wash quinoa .
- In a pressure cooker add the oil ,Hing ,cumin seeds,mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When they crackle, add the ginger and onion and sauté for a minute.
- Now add green chilies, tomatoes and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the chopped veggies, washed quinoa, sprouts, salt, turmeric and red chili powder.
- Add 2 cups of water and stir everything together.
- Close the lid and cook for 1 whistle. Off the gas and let it cook in its own steam.
- Now add garam masala , lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Topped it with some olives.
- Serve with yogurt or chutney.
- We can replace sprouts with any other dal.
In this much amount I got 2 bowls khichdi.
For more Quinoa recipies you can check my
quinoa broccoli cutlets
quinoa and oats bar
Oats are loaded in dietary fibre . Actually my kids don’t like oat meal so I tried to add these healthy oats in flour form in my kitchen. Now what ever healthy grain my kids don’t like I make powder of it and mixed in chapatti.😃The two main things I grind are soybean and oats.
- 1 kg rolled oats
- Roast oats in a pan.
- Place the oats in the grinder jar.
- Grind the oats until they are ground into a powder like consistency.
- Stop and stir to make sure that all the oats have been finely ground.
- Keep in air tight container.
- No need to sieve the flour as if you find some coarsely grind oats it works as a oats bran😃.
Daily I used this oats flour in my cooking like chapati , appams, uttapams and so on.In daily routine I use oats flour ,soybean flour and wheat flour for making chapatis.
Instant oats can also used for grinding.
Multi grain chapatti
Poha with oats
oats poha rava dhokla
Bread with oats
oat soybean appam
Almond Barfi/ Badam Katli/ Happy Navratri
My kids were coming back from their school trip so I prepared their favorite dessert.😃
- 1 cup Almond
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Milk for grinding almonds
- Saffron strands(optional)
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Soak the almonds in water for about 1 hour.
- Peel the almonds and blend them to a fine paste in mixer by adding saffron milk. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the sugar in 1/2 cup of water and prepare a syrup of 1 string consistency.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add the almond paste and cardamom powder and cook over a slow flame, stirring continuously till the mixture leaves the sides .
- Transfer to a plate and cool slightly. Keep aside.
- Grease the butter paper or tray and roll the dough .
- Cut it into pieces and serve.
For more fasting recipies .
Quinoa Vegetable Tahari
Quinoa, often described as a “superfood” or a “supergrain,” has become popular among the health conscious, with good reason. Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah or ke-NO-ah) is packed with protein, fiber and various vitamins and minerals. It is also gluten-free and is recommended for people who are on a gluten-free diet.My family likes quinoa so much.It is very healthy diet.
Source : Wikipedia
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- hing a pinch
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 green chili chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 big cup mixed vegetables ( peas, corn, carrots, capsicum,cauliflower)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Take a pressure cooker, add the ghee ,hing , jeera and mustard seeds and allow them to pop.Add chopped ginger and green chili. Saute it.
- Add the chopped onion sauté gently until they turn translucent. Next, add tomatoes and all the chopped vegetables .
- Now add quinoa ,water ,turmeric ,chili powder and salt.
- Then, covered the pan, allowing pressure cooker for one whistle.Let the whistle goes it itself.
- At last add lemon juice and garam masala.
Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves .Serve hot with yogurt or chutney.
This is enough for 2-3 people.
Quinoa cutlets ,
Quinoa sprouts Khichdi,
Quinoa broccoli cutlets
Quinoa Oats bars
Quinoa Oats khichdi
Roasted makhana(Fox nut /Lotus seed)
Makhana /lotus seeds/Fox nut are healthy snack for fasting or for any day.
When my son was around 2 years old he wouldn’t eat anything except crackjack biscuits.I went to my mother’s house for my second delivery .One day my mom was fasting so she made roasted makhanas and gave it to him also .From that day till now my kids are fond of roasted makhanas.They like roasted one more than makhana kheer.
This is my mother’s recipe.
- 2 bowl – Makhana/Fox Nut/Lotus Seeds
- 2 tsp – ghee
- 1/2 tsp – black pepper
- Sendha Namak/Rock Salt
- In a pan or kadai heat oil, add makhana/puffed lotus seeds and roast with regular stirring on low flame for 6-8 mins or until they becomes light brown, crispy and crunchy.
- Off flame , mix salt and pepper powder
Serve immediately or store in air-tight container once cooled.
If making this not during fasting then you can use normal table salt.
Healthy roasted Makhana can serve with tea.