Oats Poha Rava Dhokla/ Oats /Beaten Rice/Semolina Dhokla
Dhokla is a famous Gujarati snack.The original recipe is rava dhokla which I learned from one of my Gujarati friend.But to make it more healthy and more nutritious I added oats and poha to it.
- 1 cup powdered poha/beaten rice
- 1 cup powdered oats
- 1 cup rava/suji/semolina
- 3 cup yogurt/butter milk
- 2 cup water
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped green chili
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 sachet of Eno fruit salt
- curry leaves
- Mix oats, poha ,rava and yogurt together .
- Add ginger,chili and salt.
- The batter should be of medium consistency.
- Grease the plate.Before putting the batter in plate add eno powder. Now put the batter on a plate.
- After putting batter on a plate sprinkle some red chili powder on it.
- Steam them.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard, cumin seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves. Pour over cooked Dhokla. Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve with green chutney or Chuki mirch/Green chili masala which I already shared…
Buckwheat Flour Uttapam/Kuttu Ka Atta Uttapam
Two days back it was Maha Shivratri ,festival of Hindus in India. On this day people observe fast and offer fruits,flowers and bel leaves on Lord Shiva. I also fasted so I prepared Buckwheat flour Uttapam which is healthy and has less oil.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup grated bottle guard/louki
- 1 tsp chopped ginger and chili
- salt to taste Sendha namak
- Coriander leaves
- 1 cup water
We can also used grated potatoes or can used half louki and half potatoes.
- Combine the flour, ginger, chilli paste, grated louki ,coriander leaves and salt and mix well to make a smooth thick batter .
- Heat a tava and when its hot wipe it with a wet cloth.
- Spread the thick layer of batter on the tawa and make a thick circle.
- Cook on a slow flame using little oil till it is cooked from both the sides.
- Serve hot with green chutney and yogurt.
Make only 2-3 uttapam batter at a time otherwise louki starts releasing water and batter becomes thin.In this much amount I got 3 big uttapams.
You can check Buckwheat flour Paratha here.
A healthy breakfast recipe.
Uttapam requires very less amount of oil to be ready so this is something you can eat.
- Rice 3 cup
- Urad dal 1 cup
- Methi 1 tsp(optional)I used methi as urad dal is having vaat
- Salt add to taste( 1 tsp )
- green chilly
- Add veggies of your choice like(Spring onion,broccoli, peas,beans,carrot,coriander& curry leaves etc.)
- Clean dal and rice, wash the two and soak seperately in water for 4-5 hours..
- Grind dal in a mixer to make a fine paste and keep it in bowl.
- Now grind the rice grains and mix with dal
- Add salt to this mix .The mixture should be thick such that when dropped from a height it falls in lumps. Cover this mixture allowing it to ferment.(During summer fermentation takes 12 hours while in winter it is prepared in 24 hours).
- You will see that the mixture has doubled in quantity. Stir it using a spoon. The mixture needed to prepare Uttapam is ready. Mixture for Dosa and Idli is also prepare in this way.
- Chop veggies into small pieces.
- Place a non stick Tawa(flat pan) on the gas and heat.
- Now Spread the thick mixture in a circle 5-6 inches in diameter . Pour 1 tsp oil on the top of the Uttapam .If the mixture seems too thick then add little water and make it thin so that mixture can be spread easily on the Tawa). Decrease the flame, cover Uttapam with a plate allowing it to cook. In almost 2-3 minutes the lower base of the Uttapam turns brown after getting cooked. With a ladle overturn the Uttapam and cook this side for another 2 minutes with out covering. You can see that this side has also become brown. Your Uttapam is ready to eat. Prepare Uttapam in this way with the remaining mixture.
- Serve hot Uttapam with peanut/coconut/green coriander chutney or Sambhar and eat.
* Can stick veggies to the top instead of mixing in batter.
*Sprinkle sesame seeds and chia seeds is fully optional.
Broccoli Chapati(no onion no garlic)
My family is a big fan of broccoli, so I always find a way to use it..This is sure a great recipe with broccoli for me to consume this healthy veggie. The preparation is exactly same as gobi paratha.
- Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
Broccoli – 6 small florets
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
- In a wide bowl add wheat flour salt and required water , mix well and knead it form a soft dough as chapati dough.
Separate broccoli florets and wash them in running water.Then drain water and chop / grate them .
How to make broccoli Chapati
- Flour the surface and roll the chapati dough slightly thicker. Then add stuffing at the center and gather the dough from all sides .Seal it finely.
Flip to other side. Now again flatten it slightly with your palms and then start rolling gently. Roll it without the filling oozing out. Dust flour so that it doesn’t stick. Heat a tawa , transfer the chapati , cook on both sides until burn spots appear.
Serve hot with any pickle of your choice or with curd or butter.
*While rolling for the first time dont give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center and rolled again so make sure the center part is little thicker.
*Gently roll the chapati and dust flour as and when needed.
*Roll your chapati thick or thin as you like it.
*I used my chopper to chop broccoli fine.You can use grater / mixer with pulse option.Dont grind it smooth.
- Can make Chapati on tawa also by pressing it with cloth.