Buckwheat Flour Uttapam/Kuttu Ka Atta Uttapam
Two days back it was Maha Shivratri ,festival of Hindus in India. On this day people observe fast and offer fruits,flowers and bel leaves on Lord Shiva. I also fasted so I prepared Buckwheat flour Uttapam which is healthy and has less oil.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup grated bottle guard/louki
- 1 tsp chopped ginger and chili
- salt to taste Sendha namak
- Coriander leaves
- 1 cup water
We can also used grated potatoes or can used half louki and half potatoes.
- Combine the flour, ginger, chilli paste, grated louki ,coriander leaves and salt and mix well to make a smooth thick batter .
- Heat a tava and when its hot wipe it with a wet cloth.
- Spread the thick layer of batter on the tawa and make a thick circle.
- Cook on a slow flame using little oil till it is cooked from both the sides.
- Serve hot with green chutney and yogurt.
Make only 2-3 uttapam batter at a time otherwise louki starts releasing water and batter becomes thin.In this much amount I got 3 big uttapams.
You can check Buckwheat flour Paratha here.
A healthy breakfast recipe.
Uttapam requires very less amount of oil to be ready so this is something you can eat.
- Rice 3 cup
- Urad dal 1 cup
- Methi 1 tsp(optional)I used methi as urad dal is having vaat
- Salt add to taste( 1 tsp )
- green chilly
- Add veggies of your choice like(Spring onion,broccoli, peas,beans,carrot,coriander& curry leaves etc.)
- Clean dal and rice, wash the two and soak seperately in water for 4-5 hours..
- Grind dal in a mixer to make a fine paste and keep it in bowl.
- Now grind the rice grains and mix with dal
- Add salt to this mix .The mixture should be thick such that when dropped from a height it falls in lumps. Cover this mixture allowing it to ferment.(During summer fermentation takes 12 hours while in winter it is prepared in 24 hours).
- You will see that the mixture has doubled in quantity. Stir it using a spoon. The mixture needed to prepare Uttapam is ready. Mixture for Dosa and Idli is also prepare in this way.
- Chop veggies into small pieces.
- Place a non stick Tawa(flat pan) on the gas and heat.
- Now Spread the thick mixture in a circle 5-6 inches in diameter . Pour 1 tsp oil on the top of the Uttapam .If the mixture seems too thick then add little water and make it thin so that mixture can be spread easily on the Tawa). Decrease the flame, cover Uttapam with a plate allowing it to cook. In almost 2-3 minutes the lower base of the Uttapam turns brown after getting cooked. With a ladle overturn the Uttapam and cook this side for another 2 minutes with out covering. You can see that this side has also become brown. Your Uttapam is ready to eat. Prepare Uttapam in this way with the remaining mixture.
- Serve hot Uttapam with peanut/coconut/green coriander chutney or Sambhar and eat.
* Can stick veggies to the top instead of mixing in batter.
*Sprinkle sesame seeds and chia seeds is fully optional.